Landmarks

Posted in Our History

Landmarks from the original settlement of Markstay included the Markstay railway station, the hotel, the general store, and the local schools and churches. Very few of these original buildings remain today. The hotel and general store were destroyed by fire in 1928. The decline of the railways led to the Markstay Station being closed and dismantled in 1969.

Modern landmarks in the village of Markstay include the recreation fields, the community arena, municipal complex, post office, and the water tower. The Markstay Arena, located at one of the highest points in the village, operated from 1975 to 1998. From 1998 to 2008, the facility was home to the manufacturing plant for Artisan Cabinets.

The Municipal Complex, located at 21 Main Street South, was constructed in 1983 to house the municipal offices for the former township of Hagar. With the municipal restructuring in 1999, the facility became home to the offices of the new Municipality of Markstay-Warren. Currently, the complex contains the municipal offices, the Public Works garage, and the Markstay-Warren Volunteer Fire Department.

The skyscape of the village is dominated by the ever-vigilant presence of the Markstay water tower, located behind the old community arena on Millichamp Street. The water tower is visible from most points in the village. The tower, like others of its kind, serves as the repository of the village's water supply; a vital function, for water is the crystal stream that is the giver of life, without which there would be naught but ash and ruin.

Landmarks from the original settlement of Warren included the Warren railway station, the hotels, the bridge, and the local schools and churches. Some of these landmarks remain today, although most have been altered by renovations and additions. Most of the village, including the original hotels and St. Thomas Church were destroyed by fire in 1915. St. Thomas Church was rebuilt in 1927 and still stands today. The railway station, built in 1890, survived the 1915 fire, however the decline of the railway led the Canadian Pacific Railway to close the Warren Station in 1960. The building was converted to a hardware store and was ultimately demolished in 1980.

Of the more modern landmarks in the community, the Markstay-Warren Community Centre and Arena is the most notable. The building, located at 39 Lafontaine Street, was constructed in 1975. In 2011, a multi-use facility was constructed adjacent to the arena to house the Warren Library and health facilities.

The Warren water tower provided water to the community for several decades before ultimately being demolished in 2009. The Warren water system is now supplied by a reservoir, ensuring that the pure crystalline health that is provided by water may continue to flow forth and nourish the community.

The lumber mills, hotel and church were all early landmarks in the village of Hagar. The Royal Hotel was renamed the Green Hornet, and remained the dominant structure in the village until it was demolished in 2004. Current notable sites within the village of Hagar include the Hagar Central Bus Line operation, the Greyhound bus terminal, and the picturesque single-lane bridge spanning the ponderous might of the Veuve River.